Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

{SO} SWEET- Monkey Tail Cake and a 1/2 Birthday!

This cake making experience was an interesting one.....
(I'll explain that in a minute!)

{SO} SWEET Week continues with another fabulous recipe!

Monkey Tail Banana Cake
(found here)

And the candles? Why Yes! It's my daughter's 1/2 Birthday!
6 1/2
(We use any excuse to make a cake around here!)

Here's What You'll Need:
Cake-
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
6 medium-size ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16 oz) sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
1 Tb. baking soda
salt (I omitted the salt because I didn't use unsalted butter)
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar of Nutella
Frosting-
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups heavy cream

Here's How:
(all the 'interesting' things that happened are in orange!)

1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease 3 9-inch pans.
This is when I realized I only have two pans.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
I was also using sour cream in a side dish for dinner so I could not use the whole 16 oz. the recipe called for.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, soda and salt. Add the sifted ingredients to the banana mixture.
This is when I realized I had forgotten to buy flour. I only had 4 cups left. Panic. Then I saw my bag of whole wheat flour. Yep, I did it. Added the last 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour to my cake.
4. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide the batter evenly between the 3 pans.
Oops. I only have two pans. Time to make cupcakes too! That batter lasted forever! 2 9-inch pans of it and 14 cupcakes! 
5. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack.
Don't have any more toothpicks so I used a wooden skewer. Not professional, but it worked! :)
6. Frosting: Whip the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Increase the mixing speed and slowly pour the heavy cream and beat until smooth and think- like whipped cream.
7. To assemble the cake, place 1 layer on a cake plate. Spread with 1/2 the container of Nutella and then top with a thin layer of frosting.
This is where you MUST have the cake cooled. Need I tell you what happens when you put chocolate spread and whipped cream on a warm cake????
8. Repeat with the second layer of cake.
9. Top with the final layer of cake and frost and decorate with more chocolate chips.
This is when I realized my calculations were off about the 1/2 birthday. TECHNICALLY, it's not till May 20. Oh well. It's cake. No one's complaining! Ha!

I assembled mine a little different since.... well, you didn't think there would be a WHOLE cake at a 1/2 birthday party did you?????

I cut my 2 cake layers in half. Then started assembling what was going to be a 4 layer, 1/2 cake. It was waaaaay too warm. The bottom layer oozed into oblivion. I scooted it out and then had a three layer cake!

I topped it with 7 candles (one only showing 1/2 way) and threw mini chocolate chips all over!
I must say, everyone liked it, whole wheat flour and all!!!

The 1/2 birthday girl was super excited!

Anyone want cupcakes? I'm up to my monkey ears in banana cake! ;)



Psst!!!! Don't forget about the GIVEAWAY!
Click HERE!
Entries close on Monday!


1 comment:

  1. Alli and I both had a similar experience with a too warm cake this past week. Not fun! I add some whole wheat flour to a lot of my cakes and we like them that way. :)

    ReplyDelete