Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Days of Things I've Been Wanting to Do, Day 20: Haircut

Normally, something as serious as a good hair cut, I would be very concerned about blogging about or reading a blog about. But, since I did go to school for this, I thought I'd be okay. :)

Okay, technically, I went to school to find Mr. Right, I just needed to hide under a degree title as to not seem too obvious.

Cosmetology Management was my degree of choice. I went the first two years and earned a Cosmetology Certificate. Then I spent a year living at home, working (at a salon) and saving for a wedding. After I was married, my husband still had one year of college to finish so I decided to join him with classes while we both worked. I went back to school and earned my Associates Degree in Cosmetology Management.

I am not currently working in a salon but I do keep up the practice on my family.

Little girls have always been a fun aspect of cutting hair. God knew I would love cutting my daughter's hair, and I do!

What You'll Need:
A willing client (or a manikin to practice on)
Scissors (I can't recommend using anything but hair scissors and still be able to sleep at night)
Comb
Water bottle

Here's How (to cut an angled bob haircut):

1. I prefer to do my haircuts with clean, wet hair.

2. Sectioning the hair is essential in having a straight and even cut.



3. Start by piecing down hair diagonally from both sections in the back. Make sure the head is straight and facing down. (Legs uncrossed)

4. Trim the hair by holding the hair taught between your index and middle finger and cutting the hair below your fingers. Don't cut past your knuckle. (That is where you lose the tightness and will result in slight unevenness.) You should be holding the hair straight down and not out, away from the head. This first section brought down to cut is your guide line for the rest of the haircut.

5. After cutting the first guide, you can pull down the end pieces, and they should match in length.
(Because I only have 2 hands and I had to use one to take the picture, you are missing the matching side here.)

6. Continue with sectioning pieces down and matching the newly brought down pieces to the guide you already cut. Use the guide as just that, a guide- do not continue to cut the first section as you bring down more sections. Remember: You can always cut more off, but you can't put it back on.
(Second section brought down. You can see the guide line under.)

7. Continue to the top, taking small section, by small section until you have finished the back.

8. Next are the sides. Start the same way you did the back. Take a small section down on each side and line it up with the back you have already cut to the length you want. Face forward and take care of the ear, you will need to still hold the hair straight down and taught. As a general rule, I always cut the sides angled down. Even if you want the sides to 'look' like they are cut straight across, you still need to angle them down a little. If you cut the sides the same length as the back, straight across, it will appear like the sides are cut shorter. This is because the ear brings the hair up when dry. Either way is correct, depending on how you want the hair to look when you are finished.



9. Stand in front of your 'client' (or daughter, or mother, or a desperate friend who has faith in you) and pull down both sides of your front guide line. Pulling them straight down, they should be even and match in length. If they are uneven, cut tiny amounts at a time on the longer side. When they are even, continue with your sectioning to the top.

10. At this point, you may need to move the part to where the client wears it. (Normally, their normal part is not directly in the middle, where you sectioned off the hair earlier). By moving the part and combing the hair straight, you will find a few strands that need to be cut.


(Finished wet)

11. Blow dry with a round brush and wha-la! Cute bob for a cute girl!




In writing this post, it is not my intention to replace your amazing hairstylists, that some have even searched years to find. (In fact, I travel over 650 miles to mine!) Please don't start taking appointments to cut angled bobs in your kitchen as a source of income. You are roughly 1,500 hours and a State Board Exam short of getting a license.
It is my hope that there's a mom that can save a few dollars by cutting her daughters hair. Or, maybe, she has already tried before and now wishes she read this post before.
Happy Cutting!

No comments:

Post a Comment