Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

31 Days of Things I've Been Wanting to Do, Day 12: Expensive Cheese

I am not a cheese connoisseur at all! (Or meat, or coffee, definitely not wine, or really anything for that matter!)
I have never 'ventured' out to buy any type of expensive cheese. But, I have always wanted to try a recipe with it. (By expensive cheese, I mean the type that is priced by pound, is usually in the deli section of the grocery, and to pronounce any of the names, you need to have some type of culinary degree.)

It all started when I bought a dutch oven that I have been needing. (Okay, just wanting, really, really, bad!)
It's one of those things that is just too pretty to be put away....

(You can buy yours here. But don't tell your husband that I was the one that told you!)

Willams Sonoma had this recipe here and I decided this would be my 'expensive cheese' recipe....

Pasta Alla Carbonara

What You'll Need:
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups finely grated pecorino romano cheese, plus more for serving
2 Tbs. olive oil
6 oz. diced bacon
Salt
1 lb. spaghetti
Freshly ground pepper

Here's How:
1. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Set aside.
(Oops.. forgot to set the eggs out in time. I just put them in warm water for a few minutes to bring them to room temperature.)



2. In a pan over medium heat, warm oil. Add bacon. (This is where the original recipe called for guanciale or pancetta. I signed up to spend part of my kids college funds on this cheese, so I just couldn't bring myself to purchase expensive meat too. I got bacon on clearance, so I totally felt better about the cheese.)

Cook until browned. 8-10 minutes. (I drained mine because I don't think pancetta is as greasy). Set aside.

3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water.

4. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup reserved cooking water into egg-cheese mixture.
Return bacon to the stove to warm. Add pasta and 1/4 cup reserved cooking water; toss to combine.

5. Remove from heat, pour in egg-cheese mixture and toss well.
Season with pepper and top with additional cheese.
Serve immediately.


Now I just need to find another recipe that I can use up the rest of my money cheese! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment