Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

31 Days of Things I've Been Wanting to Do, Day 16: Homemade Crockpot Applesauce and Apple Butter

I made my very first crock pot of homemade cinnamon applesauce last fall. Of course, this fall, the recipe I used last year was no where to be found so I had to come up with another one. A combination of what I remember from what I did last year and new spices I decided to try this year. I also decided to take it a step farther and try homemade apple butter too. I don't know a southern girl that doesn't like apple butter on a warm buttery bun!

Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce

What You'll Need:
15 apples (I used 11 Jonathan Apples and 4 Golden Delicious)
1/2 cup apple juice
2 t. cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar

Here's How:
1. Core, peel, slice your apples. ( I have a special guy that does this for me. He's the best at it around here.)
But seriously, if you don't have an apple, corer, slicer, I highly recommend investing in one. It is a time saver!

I was busy getting my crock pot, sugar and spices out and before I knew it, I had 2 huge bowls of apples waiting for me!
(I did halve them after the Peeler, Corer, Slicer Expert was finished.)

2. Place all of your apples in the crock pot.

3. Turn your crock pot on low.
Pour your juice over and add the cinnamon and brown sugar.

4. Stir it and put your lid on the crock pot.
(It may be difficult to stir at first but once the apples cook down, you can stir it well.)

5. I cooked this pot of apples for 7 hours on low.
It turned out to be my delicious, 'chunky' pot of cinnamon applesauce.


Homemade Spiced Applesauce

What You'll Need:
15 apples (I used Jonathan apples for this pot)
1/2 cup apple juice
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 cup brown sugar

Here's How:
1. Get your Peeler-Corer-Slicer-Man back into the kitchen to get your apples ready.
Place your prepared apples in a crock pot.

2. Pour the apple juice over the apples and add spices and brown sugar.
Stir and add lid.

3. Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours.
I think this pot of applesauce took less time because I used only one type of apple.

4. When the apples are tender, whisk to the consistency you like. This is my pot of delicious, 'thinner' applesauce.

Homemade Apple Butter

What You'll Need:
14 apples (I used 7 Jonathan and 7 Golden Delicious)
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 cups of sugar

Here's How:
1. With a smile, yell, "Honey, I need just 14 more apples!!"
Have him get more apples peeled, cored, and sliced to perfection for you!
Put those in a crock pot.
Top with vinegar, vanilla and spices....

2. Then the sugar.....

3. Stir. And if it wasn't for the lingering smell of apple cider vinegar, I would have totally taken a bite at this point!

4. Lid on and turn your crock pot on low. I started mine at 9:30 pm. If you can stand to stay in bed until 8 am, that is when you take the lid off and whisk it well. (It'll be tempting to get up earlier because the aroma in your house is amazing!) 

5. Then at 2 pm, the consistency was how I wanted it and I couldn't wait any longer to taste!!!

So to recap, 10-11 hours on low with the lid on and an additional 6 hours on low with the lid off.

So what does a girl do with 3 crock pots of applesauce and 2 crock pots of apple butter???
Other than try them all multiple times to determine she loves them all....
CANNING of course! That's tomorrow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment