Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

31 Days of Things I've Been Wanting to Do, Day 18: Carving Party Prep

Although we aren't a family that gets hugely into Halloween, we have had a Pumpkin Carving Party for the last few years (a fun excuse to have family over to do something out of the ordinary). And we do let the kids dress up and go trick-or-treating to a few exclusive houses. We like to say 'Hi' to the neighbors in our circle then we visit family in town.

I use the few days after Halloween as another way to 'buy ahead' (You can read about how I buy my kids clothes ahead here). Last year, after Halloween, I purchased most of my party needs that I will be using next week for our carving party. I also purchased Graham's costume for this year for just a few dollars at Gymboree.
(Table cloths and plates were originally $1.50 a piece but, marked down, I paid less than $ .50 for each item)

I also purchase goodie bags for the kids. (My two kids and my two nephews)
(Glow sticks and stickers purchased last year with the plates)

(Boo bags were purchased last year also.)
The other goodies were free or nearly free using the 'dollar' section and coupons at JoAnn's Fabric Store and coupons to Bath and Body Works for the hand sanitizer.

Sometimes simple parties are the best kinds (for the guests and the host!).

To go along with my 'Ghost' theme... Ghostly invites and decorations of course!

Here's what I started with: (Plus, glass jars & black paint- not pictured)

Ghost Invitations:
I couldn't resist 8 invites for $1 but, I thought the little ghosts needed something more...

I opened the card and cut a slit in the middle seem. Just big enough to slide a piece of my black ribbon through...

Then I tied the ribbon and decided to add something else because I didn't want him to look like a 'black belt' ghost.... ;)

I have this stamp but just wanting the 'Boo' part, so I dipped it in ink and then covered everything else with a small piece of paper before stamping...

On to the inside....
I decided to keep it simple and say,
"Peek a BOO,
We hope to see you!
Join us for a Spooktacular
Pumpkin Carving Party!
Friday, October 28 at 7 pm"
(Printed from my computer in orange ink onto white card stock)

Finished it off with black background before gluing and mailing!

Hanging Ghosts:
I took a white fabric swatch and cut it into 4's....

I thread a needle with white thread (You could use fishing wire, but all of ours is currently on poles and I dare not mess with my husband's fishing pole!) :)

I placed a small styrofoam ball on one of the squares and pushed my needle through the ball and through the fabric swatch....

Tie a knot in the bottom of the thread so it holds your ghost. I then tied a small white ribbon around the ghosts' neck to collect the fabric and simply dotted eyes using a black permanent marker...
(This would also be cute and easy to do replacing the styrofoam ball will lolli-pops!)

Ghost Jars:
Another SUPER simple (and edible) decoration...
I filled a pint sized jar with mini marshmallows and then painted ghost eyes on with black craft paint.
(The black craft paint can easily be scratched or washed off of the jar so the jar can be used again.)


No comments:

Post a Comment