Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Perfect Chocolate Icing {on Spring Cupcakes}


I have been on the hunt for a GREAT chocolate frosting. I knew I didn't want to use cream cheese and I tried a fudge frosting but it turned out too runny.
Then when the Hubs asked for yellow cake with chocolate frosting for his 30th birthday, the pressure was on!
I searched and pinned icing recipes on Pinterest for days.
And I came across {this} one from Key Ingredient. It looked simple and I had all of the ingredients on hand.

Let me tell you, it did not disappoint!
-Oh my yum.-
In fact, I've made it twice in the last couple of weeks. And as I'm sitting here typing, I'm trying to come up with a reason that I need to make another cake just to have this icing!
Get ready to kiss that canned chocolate frosting good-bye.

Here's What You'll Need:
1 cup softened margarine
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
5 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 Tablespoons milk

Here's How:
In a stand mixer, whip the margarine and cocoa together until smooth.
Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar.
While stirring, slowly stream in the milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Scrap down sides and whip.
This is where the magic happens.
It'll turn from pasty, thick icing to glossy, lick your fingers good icing. 1-2 minutes of whipping and it will be fluffy and smooth.

(This is enough frosting for 24 cupcakes.)


I made classic yellow cupcakes (shhhh, it was from a box!) and piped this yummy chocolate frosting on top.
To take them to our Youth Group's Easter Egg Hunt, I topped the icing with toasted coconut and 2 'eggs' to resemble a little birdies nest.
(The eggs were candy Whoppers shaped as eggs.)


And just in case you didn't know......

No comments:

Post a Comment